Cancer Society Kicks Off National Cancer Prevention Study in Carroll County
Enroll now to be a part of the American Cancer Society's national cancer prevention study.
This evening the American Cancer Society (ACS) will kick off its initiative to sign up 425 Carroll County residents for its national Cancer Prevention Study (CPS-3). Enrollment for the study will take place March 12-16 in four Carroll County locations.
The CPS-3 is a historic, nationwide study to help researchers better understand the genetic, environmental and lifestyle factors that cause or prevent cancer. The famous CPS-1 established the link between smoking and lung cancer in the 1950s and the more recent CPS-2 findings have linked obesity to cancer risk, according to an ACS news release.
Enrollment will take place in Carroll County from March 12 -16. The goal is to enroll 425 participants that week according to a news release.
Approximately 185,000 Americans have already enrolled in CPS-3, the national goal is a diverse population of 300,000 Americans the ACS reports. Maryland has already enrolled approximately 2,100 participants in other areas of the state.
Study participant requirements:
- Men and women ages 30 to 65 who have never been diagnosed with cancer (except for basal or squamous cell skin carcinoma)
- Provide a waist measurement and give a small blood sample
- Complete a comprehensive survey and follow-up surveys every few years
“This is a once-in-a-generation opportunity to participate in lifesaving cancer research,” said Gloria Jetter Crockett, state vice president of the American Cancer Society. “In order to reach the enrollment targets, we need passionate people who are committed to fighting cancer. While the American Cancer Society has been conducting these types of studies for decades, their world-class research department can only study new and emerging cancer risks if members of the community are willing to become involved.”
Carroll County Enrollment Schedule:
- Tuesday, March 12, 3 – 6:30 p.m. at M & T Bank, 1001 Twin Arch Road, Mount Airy, MD 21771
- Wednesday, March 13, 4 – 7:30 p.m. at Four Seasons Sports Complex, 2710 Hampstead Mexico Road, Hampstead, MD 21074
- Thursday, March 14, 4 – 7:30 p.m. at Merritt Athletic Club, 1388 Progress Way, Eldersburg, MD 21784
- Friday, March 15, 11:30 a.m. – 3 p.m. at Carroll Hospital Center, The Women’s Place, 291 Stoner Avenue, Westminster, MD 21157
- Saturday, March 16, 10 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. at Carroll Hospital Center, The Women’s Place, 291 Stoner Avenue, Westminster, MD 21157
For locations, dates and to register for enrollment, visit www.CPS3CarrollCounty.org.