The arena has existed for years but now it bears the name of a well-known Carroll County business owner and an avid supporter of the 4H & FFA Fair, Buck Miller.
Charles "Buck" Jacob Miller Jr. was 71 when he died on Sept. 27, 2011. To kick off the 2012 Carroll County 4-H & FFA Fair, there was a ribbon cutting and unvelining of the Buck Miller Arena at the Carroll County Ag Center.
Miller started an excavation and drainage business near Manchester in 1959.
According to the company website, in 2004, Charles J. Miller, Inc. became CJ Miller, LLC when Buck turned the operation of the company over to his children: C. J. Miller, III, Vice President; William Miller, Vice President; and Lisa Utz, Secretary/Treasurer.
According to his obituary, Buck was a member of the Carroll County 4-H Fair Board and was a supporter of the Carroll County 4-H & FFA Fair.
The newly named arena had a busy weekend with a tractor pull Friday night, combine demolition derby Saturday night and lawn mower racing Sunday.
Don't worry, the fun is just beginning. The arena will be the venue for many more exciting activities throughout the week.
Fair Schedule for Tuesday, July 31
- 9 a.m. - Swine Showmanship
- 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. - Indoor Exhibit Building Open to the Public
- 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. - Children's Day Activities
- 11 a.m. - Southern Barnyard Pig Racing
- 1 p.m. - Master of Chainsaw Carver
- 1:30 p.m. - Southern Barnyard Pig Racing
- 3 p.m. - Dairy Goat Team Fit-Out Contest
- 5 p.m. - Master of Chainsaw Carver
- 6 p.m. - Be a Farmer Contest (registration 5:15 - 5:45)
- 6 p.m. - Market Sheep Show
- 6:30 p.m. - Southern Barnyard Pig Racing
- 7 p.m. - Half Serious Band
- 7 p.m. - Wild West Night
- 8 p.m. - Master of Chainsaw Carver
The Fair will continue through Aug. 4. at the Carroll County Ag Center. Visit the Carroll County Fair website for more information and to see the schedule for the rest of the week.