Catherine Ann Mullikin was killed in a car crash on Nov. 28, 1998 at the age of 20. In 2007, her parents, Phil and Cindy Mullikin, founded Catherine's Cause with the goal of reducing the number of alcohol related deaths on the roadways.
Catherine's Cause holds meetings six times a year for offenders who have been caught driving under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol in Carroll County. At these meetings, offenders hear from people who have lost family members so they might understand the consequences of their actions.
All money raised by Catherine's Cause stays in Carroll County and is spent on scholarships, law enforcement initiatives and other programs to help achieve the organization's goals.
Maryland State Police Capt. Jim DeWees spoke at Thursday evening's ceremony at St. Johns.
"This remembrance ceremony is important for you and all those that lost loved ones on our roadways, but it's also important for the men and women of law enforcement," DeWees said. "It's important that we get to know the stories and the people behind the names so that we strive to make this list smaller and smaller until we have no names to read for a particular year."
During the ceremony, law enforcement officials and family members light candles to honor the deceased.
Candles were lit for the following men and women who were killed on Carroll County roads:
- Dr. Saleem Shah (Nov. 25, 1992)
- Patricia A. Cohn (Jan. 25, 1997)
- Catherine Anne Mullikin (Nov. 28, 1998)
- Timothy Carrico (March 7, 1998)
- Megan Marie Taylor (Dec. 3, 2003)
- Benjamin Sochrin (July 23, 2008)
- Kimberly Browning (Aug. 22, 2008)
- Suzanne Nicole Hardin (Dec. 8, 2008)
- Tim Mahoney (Jan. 2009)
- Richard L. Brown (Aug. 2009)
- Eric Donald Ludvigsen (July 29, 2010)
- Matthew John Williquette (Jan. 7, 2011)
- Jessica Elaine Belknap (Feb. 18, 2011)
- Shannon Baranowski (April 12, 2011)
- Carl Wallace Wyant (Nov. 2, 2012)
- Michael Grant McVerry (Nov. 13, 2012)
- Michael Scott Vertreese (Nov. 30, 2012)
- Ruchita S. Pandya (Dec. 4, 2012)
- Marissa Meredith Carter (Jan. 15, 2013)
- Jeremiah Joseph Haas (Jan. 21, 2013)
- Devin Michael Spence (Feb. 11, 2013)
- Jill Lyn Bowers (March 18, 2013)
- Craig Anthony Reoli (May 20, 2013)
- Michael Lee Bewley (May 22, 2013)
- Stacey Renee May (June 2, 2013)
- Alexandra Aida Bickle (June 10, 2013)
- Diane Elizabeth Raymond (June 10, 2013)
- Thomas Francis Carroll, Sr. (June 14, 2013)
- John William Hill (Sept. 7, 2013)
David Klima of Manchester Valley High School sang "I Will Remember You" by Sarah McLachlan, which was Catherine Mullikin's class song at North Carroll High School in 1996. Rev. Dr. Melissa Rudolph spoke at the event and the Women's Festival Chorus of Manchester Valley High School sang under the direction of Beverly Mauck.
The event was attended by local leaders including Delegate Nancy Stocksdale, State's Attorney Jerry Barnes and Commissioner Haven Shoemaker. Numerous officials from local law enforcement and the Maryland Highway Safety Office were present as well.
Visit www.catherinescause.com for more information.